Vegan Blueberry Muffin
I went vegan in January 2013 after reading "Yoga and Vegetarianism" by my Divine teacher Sharon Gannon. Living with compassion through a vegan diet is a major part of my practice and I love trying out vegan restaurants wherever I travel and experimenting with vegan recipes. Here is a delectable vegan blueberry muffin recipe from my pal Kim, who is based in Hong Kong. Enjoy!!!
"I love this recipe because the ingredients are pretty much pantry staples."
- Kim Fung Nam
1.5 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup (or a little less) of sugar (I had palm sugar at home so I used that as it has a lovely fragrance) but any sugar will do: caster, brown
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of non dairy milk (I used almond)
1/4 cup of oil (I used coconut)
1 cup of blueberries (don't skimp- this is the best part of the muffin)
1-2 tablespoon of lemon juice, add with wet ingredients. (I chose to add). Taste the batter and add more if you like.
Splash of vanilla essence add with wet ingredients. (I chose to add)
Sprinkling of brown sugar and cinnamon sugar on top before baking
1. mix dry ingredients together
2. add all wet ingredients and fold and stir gently- don't over mix otherwise muffins will be tough and breadlike.
3. fold in blueberries
4. spoon in to muffin tins (need to line with a little oil or vegan butter or paper muffin cups, so muffins don't stick)
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 mins at 200 degrees celsius. Check at the 20 minute mark by inserting a skewer to see if it comes out clean.
6. Let rest in the tin for 15 mins or so, then place on wire rack to cool.